Chanukah, also called Chag Urim, the Festival of Lights, occurs as the days are getting shorter and darkness grows through the winter. Growing darkness can be frightening, and the candles represent the stability of knowledge, spirituality and our ability to help light the way for each other. As we enjoy the candles each night, let’s remember that Chanukah also speaks of Jewish heroes. Sitting together lighting the candles is a wonderful opportunity to share our stories of family heroes, and the people who have guided us in our lives. The symbols of the candles are invitations for us to remember that those who inspire us and bring light to our lives can be honoured by sharing their stories, just as we have learned to speak of the Maccabees.
Wishing everyone a very happy and meaningful Chanukah this year shared with family and friends.
Chag Urim sameach!
- Dr. Rachael Turkieicz’s paper on Omitting the Maccabees
- Coloring Pages at Crayola.com
- Chanukah word scramblers at bigactivities.com
- Dr. Rachael Turkienicz’s video on Women: the forgotten heroes of Chanukah
- Chanukah recipe roundups from BonApatite.com
- Coloring Pages at Getcoloringpages.com
- Dr. Rachael Turkienicz’s video on The Chanukah Story in World History: Does it All Check out?
- Udiscovermusic.com 25 best songs to celebrate the festival of lights
- Chanukah connect the dots at bigactivities.com
- Dr. Rachael Turkienicz’s video on Who Where the Maccabees?
- Chanukah recipe roundups from TasteofHome.com
- Chanukah Crossword puzzle at bigactivities.com
- Dr. Rachael Turkienicz’s video on How to Play the Dreidel Game
- Chabbad’s list of Chanukah music
- Chanukah story starters at bigactivities.com
- Dr. Rachael Turkienicz’s video on How to Light Chanukah Candles
- Chanukah word decoder puzzles at bigactivities.com
- Chanukah word searches at bigactivities.com
- Chanukah recipe roundups from Delish.com
- Chanukah songs for kids
- Chanukah Music roundup from MyJewishLearning.com
- Kveller Chanukah Music
- 21 Chanukah songs for kids from Parents.com
- Rachael’s blog posts on the eight nights of Chanukah from 2019
- The First Candle: Looking Forward or Looking Backward?
- The Second Candle: Liberating Gender Barriers
- The Third Candle: Get the Gelt While the Getting’s Good
- The Fourth Candle: Let the Man Handle It
- The Fifth Candle: Only I Get To Say Who I Am
- The Sixth Candle: I Need a Hero
- The Seventh Candle: People Are Strange When You’re A Stranger
- The Eighth Candle: We Have Come to Chase the Darkness Away
- Rachael’s Chanukah Blog 2020
Parshat Vayeishev: I Will Send You a Little Candle https://www.rachaelscentre.com/2020/12/11/parshat-vayeishev-i-will-send-you-a-little-candle/
- Rachael’s Centre Chanukah Video Archive
Chanukah Sameach everyone!
We hope you have a wonderful holiday season!